Two years have passed since the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) made updates to its ISO 9001 standard, which specifies requirements for a quality management system. Nonetheless, interest lately in ISO 9001 quality management certification has piqued as companies strive to put out the best version of a product or service on the market to drive operational excellence and customer satisfaction.
Approaching and implementing the ISO 9001 standard for certification is critical if you want your company to stay on-top in a competitive market. Here are steps, facts, and tips to consider to ensure your company will meet consumer satisfaction and organization objectives, all while complying with applicable regulations, reducing risks, and driving continuous improvement.
- Focus on 7 Quality Management Principles. ISO 9001 builds upon principles that ensure organization and business value for customers. Following them makes implementing a quality management system (QMS) much easier.
- Customer Focus: Meeting and exceeding customer needs should be the primary focus of quality management as it contributes to the long-term success for any product or service.
- Leadership: A unified direction or mission that comes from strong leadership ensures everyone in your organization understands the same goal.
- Engagement: Create value for customers by engaging people at all levels of your organization, and have competent, empowered employees that are willing to do the same.
- Process Approach: Understand activities as processes that function together. This helps to achieve predictable results team wide.
- Improvement: React to changes internally and externally to drive constant improvement.
- Evidence-Based Decisions: Decisions based on data are more likely to produce desired results.
- Relationship Management: Identify the relationships you have with interested parties and manage them with priority.
- Think About the Benefits. ISO 9001 certification offers numerous benefits to your business. Of the 1.1 million certified companies and organizations worldwide, 85% reported an increase in demand for products and services. In addition, ISO 9001 certified organizations are paid an average of 7% more.
- Get Started with ISO 9001 Certification. When a company decides to implement ISO quality standards, they often choose to become certified by an accredited organization. Though certification is not a requirement, certified organizations receive many benefits as stated above. Certification means that an independent auditor has concluded your organization meets the expectations and requirements set out under ISO 9001. In order to pass such requirements, many companies choose to implement quality management software.
- Choose Quality Management Software. ISO 9001 has 10 different sections, each listing out different requirements, so finding quality management software to match your site-specific needs can be tricky. Gensuite offers a quality management software suite of applications that customize to your site-specific needs, while meeting the requirements under the ISO 9001 sections. For example, section 8 of ISO 9001 designates operation requirements. Gensuite offers an application to help with these specific requirements with the Quality Escapes Reporting app. This application allows you to report and perform follow-up on product or service commitment defects, track products and customer details and integrates with other Gensuite applications for additional analysis.
- Review Additional Resources for Quality Management Success. Continuous quality management and ISO 9001 certification success doesn’t end with quality management software. You can access a variety of resources from the Gensuite library, such as an ISO 9001 Implementation Guide or a library full of case studies that demonstrate subscriber success with applications to help you continue along your quality management journey.
Start your ISO 9001 quality management certification journey today! Think about what principles, benefits, and requirements under ISO 9001 matter most to your company and then build your quality management software solution. Improved operational excellence and customer satisfaction is within your reach.