As we celebrate Mother Earth this weekend, we reflect on ways to protect her. You can extend your environmental stewardship by encouraging green practices at work. How can your company serve as a shining example and light the way to environmental sustainability? At Gensuite, we offer EHS software and sustainable solutions that help our users engage in sustainable practices, which is why we’ve put together these best practices that your company can engage in to demonstrate your commitment to the environment. Here are 5 workplace practices for better environmental sustainability.
- Encourage employees to use public transportation.According to this APTA study, a solo commuter can reduce CO2 emissions by 20 pounds per day by switching to public transportation. That’s more than 4,800 pounds in a year! Other ways to change up daily commutes include taking a bike or working remote. And by saving money normally spent on gas, your employees will feel good about saving the planet and their budgets.
- Change to eco-friendly office lighting,a quick fix that’s as easy as screwing in a lightbulb. LED lightbulbs use less energy and don’t contain toxic gases like other lighting alternatives. They also last up to five times longer!
- Switch to post-consumer waste (PCW)paper, paper products, and packaging. Sure, you recycle paper, but do you use recycled paper? The paper production industry is the 5th largest energy consumer in the world. PCW recycled paper uses 45% less energy and produces half the waste of the traditional papermaking process, reducing overall consumption from production and consumers.
- Become involved in your community. As big believers in community involvement, our team hosts quarterly events to support and improve the environments we live in. There are many ways to become involved, such as community clean-up. Simply search for events in your area and encourage your team to join. It’s a good way to spend quality time with one another and keep the place you call home clean.
- Perform an energy audit to identify resource and cost savings opportunities. According to theDepartment of Energy, sealing leaks and cracks at your workplace can cut up to 20% off the costs of heating and cooling bills. Gensuite’s Eco Treasure Hunt tool can help your team identify such problem areas in an environmental impact discovery process. Gensuite offers an entire Sustainability & Energy Managementprogram to measure and track resource usage, set environmental goals and drive program improvements. This program has allowed subscribers to identify over 3,500 reduction projects with cost savings totaling $75 million. When totaled between Gensuite users, sites could reduce 350,000 metric tons of CO2 uses.
There are many practical, cost-saving and competitive benefits to going green with your employees. Though, ultimately, the greatest benefit is preserving the planet that we call home for our own generation and for those that follow. At Gensuite, we respect your company’s commitment to environmental stewardship and sustainability – we want to partner with you as you establish and reduce your site and enterprise carbon footprints and ensure air, water, and waste management compliance.